Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rye Pils

I'm working on a new recipe, which I'll brew this weekend. "Working" isn't quite that accurate, since its not exactly complex.

8lbs Rahr Pilsner Malt
1lb Rye malt (Briess or Weyermann, havent decided)

1oz Premiant @ 60 min
1oz Premiant @15 min

WYeast 2278 Czech Pilsner

I want to do 2 things, use Premiant, which is a relatively new variety, 7-9% alpha acids, with a very low cohumulone (21% I think?), a hybrid from Czech parents of both bittering and aroma, supposedly it has a nice clean flavor profile and a bit of spice to it, the higher alpha acids also means I only have to use 2 ounces, which is a money saver (I don't think I would have gone 3 ounces if I used something like Saaz anyways, but whatever).

The other thing I wanted to do was brew with a bit of rye, which I've never done before. I'm thinking about upping the rye to 1.5 lbs, but its a small malt bill, and I want to keep it that way.

I reinstalled BeerSmith on my computer again. Its a love/hate relationship with this program. Its really the only good brewing program out there, but its from 2003 and the UI makes it look so (it has been updated and is current to 2008, but the UI hasn't changed). I want something web based that does everything this does, but doesn't look ugly and, its web based (I need to get my head out of the cloud).

Having Beersmith installed will really help me adjust my brewhouse efficiency though, which I sorely need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment